Researching Interactive Technologies for Learning
Welcome to the Media & Learning Lab at the University of Central Florida. Our mission is to design and study emerging media technologies that enhance people's learning and reasoning. Faculty and students in our lab are collaborating to explore applications in immersive virtual worlds, video games, online and mobile media in a research and development oriented environment.
- The MEteor Project
- Metaphor-Based Interactions for Learning in Mixed Reality
- MEteor is an NSF-funded project that is exploring the use of immersive mixed reality technologies for supporting whole-body interactions that help middle school children learn about how things move in space. We have installed MEteor at the Museum of Science & Industry in Tampa, FL. See the MEteor Website for more info.
- Learning in Video Games
- Effects of Avatar Customization and Embodied Interactions
- This series of studies examines the cognitive and physiological responses people have to different features of avatar-based video games. The primary objective of these studies is to understand what characteristics of interactive media heightens engagement and leads to greater overall learning and memory.
- Adventures in Emerging Media
- Assessing the Effectiveness of a Choice and Narrative-Driven Online Course
- We are analyzing the learning and engagement effects of an online course design that allows students to choose learning modules in order to bolster their portfolio and secure a job with a fictional Media CEO. A video-game-like achievement system incentivizes pro-social and creative activity from students.